Tuesday, March 6, 2012

the world is so much bigger than you.

So today I was on facebook (surprise, surprise...i know) and a girl I only kind-of-sorta know had reposted a link to an Invisible Children video. I had already seen the link to the video a few times myself, and had promptly ignored it/overlooked it every other time. But after reading her post I clicked the link. 30 minutes later I was moved. I feel very passionate about giving our time, money, and efforts to those who are less fortunate,  to those who life experiences differ from our own. You might consider yourself bad off but there is always someone out there who is facing a struggle of their own. I think I have forgotten that lately. It's so easy to fill our time and focus on "me". But then we miss the good, the bad, and the absolutely life-changing happening around us. Today reminded me that the world is so much bigger than me. and you for that matter.

So today's blog post is dedicated to things so much bigger than you or me, but sooooo impacted by us. You can think of yourself as just one little person in the world, but in all honesty no one else started out any different than you and if they are making a difference it's because they made choices in their life and recognized how big of a difference just one person could make.

This isn't a call to action by me. Don't feel as if I am trying to guilt you into emptying your life savings to all the need in the world. Think of it instead as simply opening your eyes. Just be aware of the world going on around you. And recognize that every morning when you roll out of bed you are going to be a part of that world. And your actions big or small will shape what the world becomes.

The video that started it all:
Kony 2012
It's only 30 min. Probably less than you would waste on something pointless elsewhere in your day. I don't care if you have never heard of Invisible Children before or have no interest in backing their cause. Worst case scenario: you watch a well-made, compelling video about how social media is changing the world we live in.

Another cause I think is worth supporting. But honestly more just to spread the word. Think of me as your random news source for the day:)
TOMs one.day.

And because I know there are those people out there going, "these are huge", "they already have enough support", "they are too international, I want to help closer to home". (which p.s. TOMs gives shoes in the U.S. too....) But if you are still searching to be inspired, this cause is near and dear to my heart as well:)
Arizona Lions Camp Tatiyee
So ya. couldn't do this with out a shout out to camp. Basically you should just check out the website because it explains what we do and why 5000 times better than I ever could, unless I wrote like a 50 page blog post. That you would all be bored to tears by and stop reading after 2 minutes. You can donate to the above via working poor tax credits, which can be done in addition to school tax credits. So if you live in AZ and pay taxes....you should do one! or if you know of any businesses that would love to sponsor a camper that can be done as well. (email me for forms/more info)

You have probably stopped reading even this post because its a little rambly, but I felt like I had to. So deal with it. And if you would like more info or my personal experience with any of the above feel free to contact me via Facebook or email. Or just to chat...that works too:) Please just not to tell me how lame my blog is....my self-esteem just can't take it. hahahaha. kidding. But my email is mnorcros@asu.edu (in case you don't have it....but I'm pretty sure only my roomies and my fambam read this so....that was mostly wishful thinking:)

No comments:

Post a Comment