Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wellington

~!@#^&$#(~@&^~!&@*^&^%&^#$*~!%@(&!@   < time machine to February 8th.

Wellington is New Zealand's capital and on the tip of the North Island. It is built around the harbor there, and they packed a lot of city into a little place. The bus dropped me off and it turns out my hostel was pretty far from the bus stop. And it is a super hilly place. And freakishly windy ALL the time. So Wellington and I didn't start out on the right foot, and sadly we never really bonded. Probably my least favorite stop, but not completely horrible. They have the national museum here, and it is massive. Spent a good solid chunk of my time in Wellington exploring it. Also had a mini-homesick breakdown that ended in me eating at Mcdonalds....not my finest moment:) But it was soooo delicious to have ice! So just a day and a half exploring the windiest city in New Zealand (I just made that up....but I'm pretty sure it's true!)

View from my hostel....pretty fantastic, right?!? SO not worth a super long walk across town.

View from up the hill in the botanic gardens.

Downtown Wellington.

They have a cable car that goes up the hill out of downtown (not this one...this is a super old one that was in a museum) and my guidebook said you HAVE to do it. So I was game of course. I get on thinking I'm gonna get a sweet cable car ride. It literally was like a 5 minute ride up the hill. I probably could have walked it just as fast....lamesauce.
The harbor.

They do have this random metal ball hanging in the middle of downtown, which almost made coming to Wellington worth it:)

Oops. forgot to flip this one and I am too lazy to edit....so tip your head instead:) (you're sitting at your computer and you need  a workout anyways!) This is a Maori carving at the Te Papa Museum. 

Even a journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.

No comments:

Post a Comment