Friday, April 6, 2012

Royal Easter Show

Royal Easter Show....doesn't that just bring to mind visions of awesome hats and drinking tea with the Queen?? No? ok, just me then. But in case it does, sadly that is not what the Royal Easter Show entails. Instead envision the Australian version of a state fair.

Still a pretty fun day to start my Easter holiday. John, Ruta, and I hit up this fab place today. Even though I think it is the closest thing Australia has to a state fair....so not the same. Australians are kinda weird....Yes this show included the standard live stock exhibits, cheesy rides, portable food (although not to the disgusting degree of "fried-anything-on-a-stick" like in the states, however they were rocking chips on  a stick which looked pretty bomb...picture potato spiral fried on a stick.), exhibitions of people trying to sell random things that no one ever needs. But they also had, wood chopping competitions, whipping events, and these things called "show bags". Basically themed bags filled with random things that all pertain to like a brand or character...like Dora Explorer bags or oreo bags. Let me tell you these things were HUGE. Everyone had like at least one, and we saw multiple people with like 50... I was not one of those people. But I was the girl running around taking pictures of everything. So enjoy:)

This little sucka was like $200!!!! Just hit up KFC people!

baby chicks are maybe the cutest things ever.

Showin' some goats.....

Ok...so it's a toss up if baby chicks are cuter OR baby pigs!!!

This is my inspiration to stop eating Tim-tams and cadbury bars..

Oh you know...just chillin' with some cows.

Ruta and I.

Look at that face...he definitely knew I ate a cheeseburger this week....

Horse fashion show.

So the whole shebang was hosted at Olympic Park, where the Olympics were held in 2004? 2000? And this is one of like the 5 stadiums the park.

AW!!! Look, Arizona came to the Easter show!!!


Not gonna lie this cheeseball themed AZ restaurant made me pretty happy...must be missing home a little more than I think.

Royal Easter Show = love

Do sheep like to cuddle?? Because I definitely wanted to!

SO MUCH FLUFF!

Poor de-fluffed/naked sheep.

they love wool.





I don't really like macaroons...but I DO love cakes shaped like giant macaroons!!!

Ya, that's a cake....I expect all of your Easter cakes to look like this too.

Um. Fruit held together by barely any cake..

Epic mosaic:) Bad flash glare:(

And a new phenomenon for this lil American girl. Wood chopping. It's apparently a big deal here.

Yep, these dudes definitely train for this. And come and represent all parts of Australia. We just watched them chop smaller pieces of logs in like 2 seconds. But see the big tall ones? Apparently they chop into the side, then insert a board to stand on and keep going up until they can chop the top off....all while trying not to fall and die?

Check out that stance....

I'm pretty sure I could have done better....NOT!
I"m pretty sure I would have passed out before I made a dent in one of those suckers.

I don't know if you can tell but this llama has sparkly gold fur. IT WAS AWESOME. 

Australian fairs are so much more classy than American ones...no crashing monster trucks here. Nope classy horse jumping instead.


Dang I just realized I forgot to get a picture of the whipping competition/event? Basically it was just boys with whips trying to make them crack really loud. I'm not exactly sure if like they were trying to do the most or the loudest or what. But it was random. Oh, Australia. But all around a pretty fab day. 

Happy Friday and Happy Easter everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment