Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Coolangatta

So I finished my essays (mostly) then hopped on a plane to the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is not really actually like one place but more like a 30km(?) stretch of beaches south of Brisbane. It starts with Coolangatta and ends with Surfer's Paradise. I think, if someone tells you differently they might be right...but anyways.  
It was TOMs one day without shoes on April 10, the day I left so I went on the train and through the airports with no shoes. Got some funny looks, told some peeps about TOMs, and picked up heaps of dirt along the way (I was going to take an "after" pic, but it was just too much), but no lasting diseases....so I call it a success:)
I got in to Coolangatta semi-lateish and the hostel was like "sorry we don't do airport pick-ups this late", then the bus was no longer running, so I took my first taxi ride since I've been on this adventure. I felt like such a public transportation failure. But oh well, I got to my hostel in one piece and I guess that's the important part. The hostel was right across from the beach and filled with lots of super cool peeps. Much to my disappointment it was actually pretty chilly and very windy so my plans to spend alllll day on the beach didn't go so well. I tried a little in the morning before the rain came, but after being sand blasted for 15 minutes decided it wasn't worth it.

see the buildings in the distance? no not really?? well if you have super human vision that's Surfer's Paradise...the other end of the Gold Coast




Trust me the green rock looks a lot more like a frog in real life...


Again Surfer's in the distance...but this time with a nice little bush in the corner!!! woot.woot.


So I didn't know this but Coolangatta is actually just barely in Queensland. For those of you in the US who live under a rock (be honest, most Americans qualify here...), Australia is divided up into states. Sydney is in New South Wales and Brisbane is in Queensland. But Coolangatta is like on the border!!!
Ready for it....feet in Queensland.

Straddling the border!!!

Feet in New South Wales!!! Holla!!!

Point Danger/snapper rocks?? I'm not sure if there was a difference or where one started and the other began...but anyways this is where the for reals surfing was happenin'

You know it's legit when there are guys chilling on the beach with giant cameras...naturally they had heard I was going to be there that day. kidding!!! my one surfing lesson sooo did not qualify me to join these pros.

random. I still have no idea....

mmm....even if it was cold it still looks pretty!!

So this was SUPER zoomed in, but can anyone tell me what the heck makes these sand balls??

yep.YOU.I miss you.
And that my friends was Coolangattta....or at least all the places I remembered to take pictures of, what I didn't was. Hostel movie time whilst it was raining (yep, get excited just used 'whilst'), coffee after the mission with some Gold Coasters, late night chats with Swedish chicas.

P.S. HAPPY ANZAC DAY!!! Except can I even say that?? Anzac Day is a public holiday here to remember Aussie veterans....so I'm not sure you really like get excited and say "Happy Anzac Day", no worries I asked though and they definitely don't celebrate with fire works....I do get the day off school though. And my one class yesterday was canceled. So really my 2 week holiday has turned into 2 and 1/2...but tomorrow I am for sure headed back to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment