Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Australia's version of the Grand Canyon

So blogging and being a tourist is exhausting...but since I'm already two weeks(ish) behind on New Zealand I figured I'd never catch up if I slacked on Australia too. The real message here is: get excited for a lame blog post.

Today we woke up early and got to enjoy public transportation with all the school children (they all use public transportation to get to school instead of school buses). We headed out to the blue mountains...about a two hour train ride from the city. The fog was still pretty thick when we got there, but it made for some beautiful views!!! The name of the town we went to was Katoomba, and from there we walked to a lookout called Echo Point.

Ew...never mind the tennis shoes.

The fog over the valley...it was like a wall of fog. epic.

Andrea enjoying the view.

These three little beauties are known as the three sisters. Apparently  they are sacred to the aborigines and some chief turned three sisters into stone for some reason which I cannot at this moment recall....

Luckily my sister has yet to be turned into stone.

I'm telling. It's gorgeous...and my pictures sooo don't do it justice. But I refuse to be one of those obnoxious photographers that is ridiculous about getting the perfect shot. We overheard one today...and secretly laughed our bums off because he was soo obnoxious.

The valley. Fun fact: they are called the blue mountains and actually sometimes look kind of blue because the light filters weirdly through the oils that come off the gum trees.

The sista.

This picture is proof that the Queen and I basically hung out together....

I wanted to be one of their sisters...

I look like I'm ridiculously cold because I was ridiculously cold. We forgot to check the weather...

I think I may have posted this picture upside down...I'm so tired I can't tell. So if it appears water is gushing out of the ground that is not the case as this was just simply a waterFALL...in the direction that gravity intended.

Katoomba Falls....this pic was taken from the Skyway, a tram like thing that goes out across a canyon. way.awesome.

Me...standing on the glass floor of the tram. over 200m up.no big deal.

The view across the valley with the three sisters again.

More of Katoomba Falls. It was awesome. And I just kept taking pics of it.

So it had been raining. Imagine these stairs super wet. Ya it was a party.

The Skyway tram we came across on.

The bottom of the tram...which had a glass walkway....which you cannot see:)

Portrait session!!!!

Realizing that it had started raining. in the middle of our portrait session. on a trail in the middle of the woods. with only one umbrella.

The lesser known and less popular Stairway Falls.

This horrible photo which should have never been posted on the internet is simply to document how wet  we got, no thanks to our pathetic umbrella.

And of course once we got back to a building the SUN came out!!!

simply.stunning.
Tomorrow I head to orientation.....hopefully to get orientated:) And I think Andrea is headed to a Koala park. Both of us are secretly excited we don't have anything huge planned and sleeping in a little will be a welcome break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment